Tuesday, June 12, 2007

June 12, 2007

Last night, the guys stayed in Monte Vista, Colorado. They haven't encountered any rain, but if you have been watching the Weather Channel, you see that they are moving into a "stormy" region for the next day or so. Hopefully the "scattered thunderstorms" will hold off until later in the day after they are done riding. They have enjoyed the overcast skies and cooler temperatures after "baking" in the California/Arizona sun for the past week. We will continue to pray for safety and good riding weather.

Road conditions seem to be deteriorating the further east they go. Out West, there were nice shoulders on the roads, but as they move east, the shoulders are either very narrow or non-existent. This poses new challenges with slow-downs due to wind (when a semi drives by) as well as safety. The team has been brainstorming and discussing possible solutions to these concerns.

Physically, the team is feeling strong - a bit homesick, but feeling strong. Today, the goal is to reach LaJunta, Colorado. Please feel free to click on COMMENTS to leave the guys a word of encouragement. It really makes a difference!

THIS JUST IN FROM ALBERT: (11:35PM)
Day 10: We concluded our latest excursion today in LaJunta, Colorado. The road has started to flatten out as we enter the prairie lands of America. This is a far cry from the 13,000 to 15,000 feet of the famous Colorado Rockies which took its toll on all of us physically. Tomorrow we should cross the Kansas state line early and Colorado will be in the books. Take care everybody and you will hear from us soon as we move closer to our goal.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the outstanding job. Your partners at UPS are proud of you and wish you good luck throughout your journey. Safety First. Sue Dusz

Anonymous said...

Albert,
From W. Lafayette Go Purdue!
Keep pedaling, your almost there.
We will have a pedal party for you and all the guys riding. Pride!
I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike (Queen singing)
Jazzy, Pbomb, Thomes, Jen Babe, Benny, Ton Whooooooo

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.

Anonymous said...

ALBERT!!!!!
Hey man, how are ya????
It's Scot Heminger! I can't hardly believe that you just rode through Monte a few days ago. The wife and kids and I finally made our move out here to CO in July of 2006 after I got back from Iraq. We're living near Mosca which is just maybe 12 miles north of Alamosa and 15 or so northeast of Monte. I just got an email from Shelley telling me about your trip and given me the link! Man I wish I'd known that you were going to be in the neighborhood, so-to-speak. I would have driven out to Monte to see you. I hope your ride was great. It looked great and I'm envious as an injury and my crazy school schedule has precluded even taking my really nice Trek 2300 out of storage. Shoot, I didn't even know you were into road bikes. Take care and send me an email at hemingersl@adams.edu if you get this.